In this class, we will study the works of literary figures such as, Bram Stoker, Edgar Allen Poe, and Anne Frank, among others. We will also be looking at the elements and techniques for a variety of writing styles as well as reviewing the elements of figurative language.
- Students will learn and utilize higher level writing techniques.
- Students will expand their vocabulary skills and refine their grammatical abilities.
- Students will enhance their English language skills to become better readers, writers, speakers, listeners, and thinkers.
100% - 90% = A+ to A- 89% - 80% = B+ to B-
79% - 70% = C+ to C- 69% - 60% = D+ to D- 59% - 0% = F
Grades will be earned and determined by total point system. The grades will include in-class assignments and participation, homework, larger projects/presentations, and a reading goal each trimester.
*Students will be able to see their updated grade on a weekly basis and will know if they are missing work and grades will be updated on Aries.
- Students will come to class prepared.
- Students will be seated, quiet, and ready to participate when the bell rings everyday.
- Students will respect the teacher and one another at all times.
- 1st offense: Warning/Name on Board
- 2nd offense: Warning/Check mark
- 3th offense: Second checkmark/detention
- 4th Offense: Call home
- 5th offense: Office
*All steps are at the teacher’s discretion depending on the severity of the offense.
- request assignments and instruction ahead of time, during lunch, or before/after school if absent. ALL ABSENT WORK MUST BE MAKE UP WITHIN THE AMOUNT OF DAYS ABSENT. (Ex. student missed 3 days, he/she has 3 days to make up the work.)
- Late work is accepted with coupon (given each trimester) for full credit the next day or within two weeks for ½ credit. LATE WORK MAY NOT MAY SUBMITTED MORE THAN TWO WEEKS AFTER DUE DATE.
Bathroom Policy: Students are give 4 coupons for in-class bathroom use per trimester, during non-instructional time. After that, bathroom breaks during class will result in a tardy. Planning restroom breaks before/after class or during break is preferred.
- 2 pencils
- 1 pen
- Composition Notebook (for Lang. Arts use only)
What to expect:
- Students will be required to read 300+ pages at home per trimester and AR Test or complete a book report. Books will also be available in the school or classroom libraries.
- Books borrowed from the library or classroom MUST be returned each quarter, or student will be held responsible for cost.
- There will be 3 major essays and journals done regularly.
- Students will work on vocabulary and be expected to complete various assignments with the new terms.
- There will be 1 large research project and presentation as well a two smaller group presentation opportunities.
*This syllabus is subject to change at the teacher’s discretion.